For our poster and throughout the process we had different areas where one another would specialise in, the areas were:
Me – Icons | Layout | Development
Andrew – Ideas | Layout | Icons
Rupert – Type Choice | Development
This worked well however we had issues with making final decisions as we all had different opinions and I felt we may have clashed a little. Example of this would be choosing between the landscape and portrait version and whether to include the faded factory in the background or not.
I think we did meet the brief specifications as we did make an A2 infographic poster about ethics for a graphic designer. We chose appropriate software and printing material to print our poster on. We also used a well thought out combination of type and imagery to make this poster work well.
The strengths of our poster are that it is simple, easy to read and also eye catching. The colours used aren’t too bright and aren’t too dark making it interesting but not too distracting. We kept to a pastel colour scheme ensuring that all of the colours matched each other in terms of brightness and contrast. The final poster layout flows down the page starting with the title, then the paragraph and finally the icons (some with added text).
The weaknesses of this poster could be that the viewer kind of has to read the intro paragraph to understand the transition from toxic waste to deforestation and tree farming, though we had shown people the formulas without text and they had seemed to have understood it clearly.
To improve this poster I think we should have experimented with the layout a little more as that we thought it was all aligned to the middle but when we printed it it was a little off.
On to timekeeping it wasn’t great to start off with as we started it with 2 weeks remaining however this happened to be just the right time for this brief. I think we analysed the brief well and chose to go on a more divergent path of doing an area of ethics for graphic designers rather than graphic design ethics as a whole topic. We did considered folds on the poster which was a part of the brief specification but didn’t feel it was necessary.
Our research was very in depth as we had to find out facts and statistics of recycling paper and also making new paper. Finding out which was actually best for the environment.
Throughout the ideas and design development we were constantly thinking of our layout and designs to try and produce the best possible outcome. This was useful as we went from a good layout that didn’t work out to a much better layout that did work out.
The part of the project that I enjoyed the most was putting all our ideas together on to screen and also having to improvise. The part that I enjoyed the least was getting started and thinking of an ethical situation, I always find the beginning of things hard but once you get started is all up from there.
Overall I feel that we worked well as a group but getting involved and time managing was something we had to improve on towards the end.