15/04/16

After changing our thoughts on how we should layout our infographics poster we had to go in and start from scratch from our previous version. In this post I will be showing the development of the new layout in stages. I will also be explaining all design decisions along the way.

To start off we sourced these 2 factory icons from a website called The Noun Project. We then saved them through as SVG files and the manipulated them to make it unique and our own to fit to our poster dimensions better.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 16.14.12

We then lowered the opacity of the factory so that it was less visible and acted as more of a backdrop so that it did not distract the viewer. Below are the other icons that we used from the noun project.

This is some evidence of editing one of the other icons (also sourced from the noun project). We decided that two would work the best and that they should be two different colours slightly just to show shading and proportion.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 14.50.17

We then added in the symbols to make it an equation. In this case it’s factory + fossil fuels = toxic waste and pollution. Then pollution = death of nature (habitats) and animals. We also changed some of the words that we wanted to have an impact on the viewer to the colour red and also a few sizes bigger too so that they stood out more. These words were all of the negative words such as pollution and toxic etc. It was also at this stage that we decided to make the fish and the tree one icon rather than 2 separate icons so that the equation flowed a little more smoother.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 16.15.41

The next stage was to ensure that everything fitted well in terms of the folds of the poster, though I didn’t find this necessary because if you think about it, when you post up a poster on your wall most of the folds become unnoticeable and doesn’t affect the readability of the poster. But the others thought otherwise so to ensure this we had to move some of the text that would be compromised by the folds. We also slightly moved some of the icons.

One of the main design decisions on this stage of designing was that we moved the word paper in the title over to the left so that it fit better in the smoke from the factory. We also made it larger as it is an important piece of text/information.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 16.14.52

This is the finished poster design for this version of the poster.

EthicsposterV2.jpg

 

Advertisements