With my double page I didn’t feel the the need to make so many versions but I would make little tweaks to them then look at them and see which one looks better.
So I started by getting a couple of large images from the web to place within my DPS. Below are the images and where i got them from.
I wanted to keep the colours the same variety as the front cover, but I only wanted there to be little red areas in the DPS as possible. This is because I didn’t want the colour to distract people from reading the actual article. In CR they like to place straight slightly visible lines to kind of organise the content I would assume. So I did so and also include important quotes from the article and made them bold and also experimented with the colour of the text as that I wanted it to stand out from the other text.
With CR’s page number layout and format I noticed that they make the page number bold in the bottom outer corner of the page and include their title ‘CREATIVE REVIEW’ then a space divider followed by the issue date looking a little like this.
48 CREATIVE REVIEW | DECEMBER 2015
On the other page though I noticed they kind of mirror it so that the page number is still closest to the edge like so.
CREATIVE REVIEW | DECEMBER 2015 49
So I created a few DPS’s which were slightly similar, below I will show my mock ups and why I chose to do them.
Above I thought it would be a good idea to keep the image nice and sharply placed within one page spread, this gives of the feel that they were clean and very sharp with what they wore. The title ‘ZOOTS ARE BACK!’ screams revival but I don’t think the image placement helps it look like a revival. I also experimented with the title seeing if it either work better with no fill but an outline or just fill and no outline, the outlined look makes it feel slightly unfinished and doesn’t really push out to attention.
Here I tried changing the title to something a little stronger which tells the audience to help bring them back, I named the title ‘BRING ‘EM BACK’. This helps let out their rough edges by not showing “them” but instead using a bit of slang and using “em” instead, though due to intentional fallacy it may not come across that clear to other people. With the image though I made it so it fades in from one page to another, which kind of resembles in my eyes a ghost of some sort coming back to life. again I experimented with the title and colours on the text.
With this one I just wanted to experiment with how the picture would look if it was spread across both pages. I believed it worked well but it made the DPS look a little cluttered and therefore was rejected from my choices. Though this may have worked if the pages I was working with were larger.
Right so there are my choices for my final piece, I will be choosing and explaining why I chose a certain one in a separate blog soon.