07/12/15

Right so now I was on my way to develop what I have in mind for my final piece. It took a while to get there as again I wanted it to fit well with the brief thus making me have to get a lot of feedback and make a few changes from the first version, I also think that I’ve experimented a lot on this project for my front cover. The development will cover over two blogs as that I made two different versions.

Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.53.45
Here I grabbed an image online of an old article on the zoot suit riots.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 15.49.30
I then created with my pen tool a very basic illustration of a man in a suit and hat.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.41.30
I then went on to smudging the shapes to give a fading in style to it which kind of says that they’re coming back.

Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.49.02

Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.51.36
Here I cut out a clipping mask to see what it looked like with the news article within the black areas.

Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.54.01

Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.54.43
I didn’t really like the looks of it in this style because you couldn’t really see the article very clearly.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 14.12.53
I then thought to put the article behind and doing so did actually make it a little easier to see and also the figure was a lot more noticeable.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.57.38
I then experimented with the blending options to see if i could make it look even more mysterious.

Screenshot 2015-11-27 13.59.15

Screenshot 2015-11-27 14.04.06
I thought to maybe add a bit of colour due to the fact it would look a little too black and white, but felt it came on too hard and would distract the audience from reading the article to find out who it was actually about.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 15.51.28
I then chose to change the filter affect on the newspaper making it look a little older and worn out again to give a revival feel to it.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 16.33.31
I also made the background for where the title is going to be placed the same colour.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 16.26.54
Making the words Zoot and Suit stand out in the news article I thickened up the font.

Screenshot 2015-11-27 16.28.27

Screenshot 2015-11-27 16.33.46
Then I decided to add the colour here instead as it would come across more gentle.

Doing what i did in all my other assignments i decided to get some feedback from a few people on how it looked. I mostly got good feedback though some people could not see what the illustration was, saying that the smudging did not help. So then I took it back to the drawing boards and decided not to smudge the illustration at all and make the shadow less noticeable which I found it worked out perfectly.

I used the old article to reassure that people will know the subculture i’ll be reviving, I also used it as a sense of looking back at history and getting people to remember who they are and what they did wasn’t so bad. The reason why I done the smearing effect is because zoot suiters had rough edges under all that luxurious clothing. Though I thought it would work pretty well others unfortunately did not agree so therefore i changed it. I will be putting the smudge and non smudged version in my portfolio for future references.

Below is the finished version.

Final cover 1v3

 

Advertisements