With this design I went for a more simple look compared to my other poster (The Wave). I was thinking of giving it a more friendly and a little more professional look to it. Through posters I had seen around me and on the world-wide web I wanted to improver them and put them in a better use of my opinion. I saw many posters with the use of full fitted A2- A3 single letters with the information printed around it. I found that the single letters were boring in just black or white so I thought to myself to maybe do the same as what I did in the previous poster, catching an image into it.
This was my rough sketch of how id want it to look like.
The letter I chose which I thought would work the best was the letter “B”. This is because it stood for Bexhill and it had quite a lot of white space within the letter to insert all the information. also it related to the Beach Pebbles in the photograph I chose to put within the silhouette. I did try using a typographic image as well but it didn’t really work in my opinion as it didn’t show much type due to the big gaps within the letter. I also experimented with a few fonts which may have helped the typography stand out a little more but it didn’t.
Here’s where I decided it wasn’t a good idea to use the photograph I was using. my lecturer told me it didn’t have to particularly be an image of typography. I did feel need to try it though and show others that it didn’t work as much as it could have.
The font out of the three that I had used, I chose Noteworthy Bold because it gave a fun kind of old feel to the poster. I used a photo I took while I was on the beach to capture the feel of the seafront on a nice day.
The technique known as the clipping mask, I used to cut out the B shape into the photo I simple made sure the text layer was behind the image, hover over the line between the two in the layers menu, hold alt and click, then it turned out like this.
I then selected the two and enlarged the Image to fit the whole screen and bleed off too. I did this so then it didn’t feel so restricted and tightly placed in like this.
Also having it like this wouldn’t give me many options on where to place the text.
With the text I wanted it again nice and readable in a formal approach, so I used a pretty basic font called Perpetua Tilting MT. Using this typeface came a lot in handy as it had a bold option so I could highlight the main text pretty easily without any hassle.
I loved the way the information just fitted so well within the huge letter, it made the importance of both the photograph and main text equally balanced, making the whole thing stand out as one whole piece, instead of parts being separated in an order.
I felt the need to experiment with the alignment a little as I wasn’t so satisfied with it. In the end I managed to get it a little neater in my opinion. Bellow is my final piece.
While creating this poster I had learnt from my many mistakes in my previous one. I also took a different approach to it, giving the poster a more friendly feel compared to the dark colours in my previous one. though they are both great I’m going to struggle to choose my final piece. What I am planning on doing is getting others opinions on which one they find more effective and friendly.